Employ to Empower (ETE) supports residents in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) community by providing access to development and entrepreneurial resources. Our resources include affordable microloans and business mentorship, with the goal of having a long-term impact on our members’ personal and economic well-being. We also actively advocate for creating positive social change in the DTES.
Title Description: Sponsorship Coordinator (In-Kind Specialist)
Reporting To: Charissa Landicho, Community Outreach
Location: Vancouver (or able to commute to Vancouver when needed)
Desired Start Date: Sept 2020 (Minimum 1-year commitment)
Commitment: 8-10 hours/week (including two 1 hour meetings a week)
Position Type: Volunteer
The Sponsorship Coordinator (In-Kind Specialist) reports directly to the Community Outreach and is responsible for the major in-kind sponsorship of each Advocacy event (Street Store, Cardboard Project, + another event TBD) of Employ to Empower. The Sponsorship Coordinator is responsible for contacting, connecting, and collection of all sponsorship received. This role will require the individual to attain event-specific sponsorship such as storage space, high demand items (male jackets, male pants, and blankets), print, heaters, bags, hairdressers, tents, and u-haul for Street Store, and food and door prizes for the Cardboard Project. This position also has the capacity for growth in terms of welcoming novel sponsorship opportunities that align with the values of the organization as well as engage our attendees to a new level.
The Sponsorship Coordinator will work alongside the Advocacy team to create events that align with our mission: Empowering the residents of the DTES with a Hand-up approach, providing a platform to share their strength and resilience, and educating the Vancouver community around the stigmas in the DTES.
- Ideate, contact, communicate and solidify new sponsorship opportunities including but not limited to storage space, food, door prizes, and items specific to the event (such as bags, hand sanitizer, masks, u-haul, tents, etc)
- Work with Marketing Coordinator to share sponsors on our social media platforms and during the event
- Work with Community Outreach Coordinator and Executive Director to give thank you cards to sponsors in-person
- Working alongside the Advocacy team to create events that align with our mission: empowering the residents of the DTES with a Hand-up approach, providing a platform to share their strength and resilience, and educating the Vancouver community around the stigmas in the DTES.
- Knowledge: Strong understanding in creating compelling pitch decks and email marketing templates for all stakeholders (donation champions, donors, corporate sponsors, vendors,
- Proven track record in obtaining in-kind sponsorship items in high volumes
- Proactivity – in searching for new sponsorship, and a solidifying sponsor in a timely manner
- Entrepreneurial and innovative: Seeks creative new opportunities that both align with our mission and add greater value to the organization and the community – purposeful, ethical, innovative
- Flexibility – able to adapt and pivot in times of uncertainty (for example COVID-19)
- Strong Organization Skills – this includes time management, punctuality
- Diligence – completing tasks in a timely manner with great efficiency and effectiveness
- Drives revenue: Results-driven, with a focus on gaining the resources to support Employ to Empower’s mission and collective impact-focused strategic objectives
- Effective and engaging communicator: Passionate communicator, articulating the Employ to Empower message in a way that inspires others to act in service to the organization and the community
- Compassionate and cares deeply for the DTES community
- 2+ years of experience volunteering/working in the DTES
- 1+ years of experience in sponsorship, marketing, or events planning
- Self-starter, curious by nature and keen appetite to learn new concepts/ideas out through research
- Strong interpersonal skills and high relational empathy
- Ability to prioritize, lead and balance multiple projects at once and meet goals
- Strong ability to tolerate chaos and thrive in it
- Immensely strong communication on email, phone, and text
- Demonstrates strong ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- High degree of patience, compassion positivity and enthusiasm with an ability to exercise initiative, tact, and discretion
- Strong and confident leadership
- Ability to work as a team and individually
- Must be enrolled in post-secondary education and have completed, or be in the process of completing, a degree related to Business, Marketing and/or Communications.
E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org