Employ to Empower (ETE) supports residents in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) community by providing access to development and entrepreneurial resources. Our resources include affordable microloans and business mentorship, with the goal of having a long-term impact on our members’ personal and economic well-being. We also actively advocate for creating positive social change in the DTES.
Title Description: Development Course Facilitator
Reporting To: Christina Wong, Executive Director
Location: In Person
Desired Start Date: Anytime
Commitment: Minimum 1 year, 4-10 hours per week
Position Type: Volunteer, parking reimbursed
Length of each course: 5-10 weeks
You will be responsible for preparing to lead and facilitating the Development course over 5-10 weeks for entrepreneurs in the DTES. There will be eight modules in this course. This position requires high emotional and cultural sensitivity, and experience building small microbusinesses.
- Facilitate weekly workshops at 4-10 hours per weeks in groups of 3-6 entrepreneurs
- Actively engage and collaborate with entrepreneurs in the workshop
- Thoroughly teach weeks for Business plan, online and offline marketing, cash flow and showcase presentation
- Maintain accurate workshop metrics, including attendance rosters, evaluations, and other reporting documents
- Administer surveys at the first and last workshop to support the data collection requirements of funding agencies
- Compassionate and cares deeply for the DTES community
- 2+ years of experience volunteering/working in the DTES
- Self-starter, curious by nature and keen appetite to learn and figure new concepts/ideas out through research
- Strong interpersonal skills and high relational empathy
- Strong relational empathy, compassion, and patience
- High resilience, persistence, and flexibility
- Proactive in finding creative ways to deliver challenging concepts/themes
- Must be enrolled in post-secondary education and have completed, or be in the process of completing, a degree related to Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, English, and/or Communications.
- Strong history of education/training in the areas of adult learning, facilitation of educational programs for adults a plus, and such training may be considered in lieu of other educational requirements
E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com